No-bullshit intro: my mother-in-law made something similar to this years ago, and my whole family loved it so much. This has just been adapted a little bit, but it’s a really flexible recipe that you can add what you like to. Here’s our favorite version. Enjoy!
What You’ll Need:
- 2-12-oz boxes tri-color rotini
- 2-19-oz. bags cheese tortellini, frozen
- 24 oz. bite-sided tomatoes, (half red, half yellow if you can shake it)
- 1 ounce fresh basil
- 1/2 pound white cheddar, cubed
- 1 pound hard salami, thinly sliced
- 2- 6-ounce bags pepperoni
- 16 oz. mozzerella cheese
- 1- 6-ounce tub shredded parmesan cheese
- 2- 9 1/2 ounce jars green Spanish olives
- 2- 6-ounce cans black olives
- 2 bottles Newman’s Own Family Recipe Italian Dressing
- 2-12 ounce jars marinated artichoke hearts
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper up in heeeere
Throw It Together:
- Boil the rotini according to package directions, and salt the shit out of it, because you won’t get a chance to flavor your pasta later
- Drain pasta, set aside in a HUGE bowl and drizzle with a tiny bit of EVOO so it doesn’t stick.
- Boil the tortellini according to package directions, salt, drain, and throw in the same bowl as the rotini. Toss it all together. This is the base of the whole salad. The rest is just adding ingredients that you like! Omit anything you don’t like, and add what you do!
- I chopped the pepperoni in half, cut the salami into small triangles, halved the tomatoes, quartered the artichoke hearts, left the olives whole, thinly sliced the onion, cubed the cheese, and chiffonaded the basil. Add pepper to taste.
- Pro-Tips: If you’re making this the day ahead, don’t put the cheese in yet. Toss the cheese in a few minutes before you intend to eat it, unless wet cheese doesn’t freak you out. WET CHEESE FREAKS ME OUT. Also, easy on the red onion, and don’t add this until last minute either. It will ALL taste like onion if you add it too soon.
- That’s it! Super easy and really delicious. Enjoy!