My commitment to you as a no-bullshit writer is going to be that I will never write my whole life story before a recipe. Have you ever perused recipes online and you had to scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and SHIT I don’t even feel like making monkey bread anymore. So – weeknight shrimp & grits. Here it is. Don’t f*ck it up.
What You’ll Need:
You can be as snobby or as laid-back as you want to be on your ingredients. All my stuff came from good ol’ H-E-B, and you can bet your butt it was no-hassle.
- 2 Lbs shrimp (I used frozen Texas gulf shrimp, and I started to devein them, but…you know. I called my mom and she said it was fine, so I threw the rest in a bowl, tiny shrimp poops and all.)
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 2 Tbsp. freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire
- Spice Mix for Shrimp: 1 Tsp. Tony Chachere’s Cajun seasoning + 1 Tsp. Old Bay seasoning + 1 Tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 5 Cups whole milk
- 1 Cup quick-cooking grits (not instant)
- 2 Cups shredded cheese (I used mild cheddar)
- 1 bar cream cheese, full fat (duh)
- Chives or parsley to garnish if you wanna be fancy
Throw It Together:
- After shelling, place shrimp in a single layer on a cookie sheet.
- Combine butter, lemon juice, worcestershire, spice mix, and garlic cloves in a small measuring cup, then pour over the shrimp. Toss to coat.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes, but don’t be a scaredy-cat like I am and wait too long to take them out; otherwise, they’ll be tough. I’d check them at 10 minutes.
- While the shrimp are baking, bring milk to a boil in a saucepan big enough for what will end up being a shit-ton of grits. Whisk in the grits to the milk, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes, or until you think it’s thick enough.
- Dump in that glorious block of cream cheese, and the two cups of shredded cheese. This whole saucepan will end up getting thicker by the minute, so whisk whisk whisk until the shrimp are ready.
- Plate it, y’all: little scoop of grits, little scoop of shrimp, little bit of sauce drizzled over, then chives.
There you have it. Weeknight shrimp & grits. Pro Tip: You’re going to want to put a whole bunch on your plate, but don’t. This is richer than you think. A little goes a long way. Enjoy, friends! Let me know how it went or if you perfected this recipe with a secret!